Not So Normal Norbert
Book Review

Not So Normal Norbert
A Book Review By: Mateusz Dobosz


I went to my local library lately and got some more books to read. I picked out a couple of interesting-looking ones out of curiosity. When I got home, I started reading Not So Normal Norbert by James Patterson, who’s books I quite enjoy. I loved the book instantly and once I finished, I decided to re-read it! I have decided to now write about this book since it captivated me in many ways.

Not So Normal Norbert is set in the future, where people are all living under the command of Loving Leader, their ruler and dictator. He has a special police force called the Truth Police to take away people who are creative or imaginative to someplace somewhere. Norbert doesn’t like them since they took away both his parents for being different and dangerous. The main character of the story is Norbert Riddle, also known as L4LUZR-1. Norbert is sitting in his classroom, watching Loving Leader on a TruthScreen, basically like a TV, when his teacher leaves the class. The teacher, named Mrs. Hurlbutt, tells them, “Be good or you will be taken away by the Truth Police. Just like Norbert’s parents!”.

Norbert is shocked by this mean display of words, and when the teacher leaves, he stands up on the teacher’s desk. Then he begins to make a funny impression of Loving Leader. When he finishes, the Truth Police storm the room and arrest Norbert. After he is proved different and dangerous by his trial, he will be sent to a facility on the planet Zorquat Three. This facility is for kids just like Norbert that have been deemed creative people. Norbert doesn’t know what to expect, since he’s been told different is dangerous all his life. Now the only question remaining is what will happen to him and why he is getting sent here.

My favorite character is Norbert, because he is so imaginative, and he proves it when he tries to tell everyone he is normal and he says he is supposedly “Dull as dishwater.” Instead of saying something normal, he makes a creative comparison without even realizing it! Later in the story, a boy named Drew who is also deemed different and dangerous says that there’s something called the Powder Room, where you get turned into pink powder. Even though this statement isn’t true, Norbert believes it for quite some time, showing that he is imagining all this being a reality. This book is funny, imaginative, and exactly what I’d expect from James Patterson. I rate this book 6 out of 5 stars, because of how there are funny jokes mixed along with suspenseful cliffhangers that make the story funny and thrilling. This book really is a true masterpiece to behold, and I would of course recommend it to others.

Comments