My Life as a Cartoonist Book Review

My Life as a Cartoonist

By: Janet Tashjian



    I got My Life as a Cartoonist at my school as a book to read over the week. I found the series on the shelf and picked a random one to start reading. I enjoyed it because in one part the new kid named Umberto, that sits in a wheelchair, apologizes to Derek. Derek gets along fine with Umberto as they hang out for the first time and realize that they should have been friends. I also like when Umberto is given a surprise, even though he’s in a wheelchair, someone will help him to be able to surf. I feel very happy that a kid like Umberto can do something that people that aren’t in wheelchairs can do.






    My Life as a Cartoonist is about a boy named Derek who has a learning disability. Umberto bullies Derek and uses his slyness and wheelchair to get out of trouble. Derek finally manages to become friends with Umberto when he helps save his dog. Bodi, his dog, had a seizure and Umberto with his wheelchair is able to rush to Derek’s mom, a nurse, who treats Bodi. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because of the clever use of drawings to make the book more appealing to readers.

Comments